Further closer to the falls:
There is enough scope for extreme adventures, try this unconventional way of crossing the bridge, this easier way:
The place is enticing, but keep on moving, as cold sets in really fast.
Cup of tea was never such refreshing as it was at 10,000 ft, 5:30 PM and with cold kissing our spines. Finally we reached Lachung at 8,620 ft., our night stay. What a night that was, when we two vagabonds meandering in sub zero chilling temperatues whistling, singing and SHIVERING in the cold. We finally restrained when cold became unbearable. I had fish for the first time since nothing was available and I liked it.
We got up at 0500 hrs and for the first time in our lives we saw snow being yellowed by Sun. After breakfast we left for "Katao", which is the China Border. That's the way to go...
Snow cladded road, snow covered trees, and finally Katao with Snow everywhere. -12 deg Celsius without warm clothing, we were literally freezing, but our high spirits were still not ready to be dampened.Though it was chilling, but we were having the time of our lives.
While on snow we were not feeling any cold. Vast stretch of our country and the site of China aroused patriotic spirits in our souls and what came out were the slogans of "Vande Matram". Join us..
Necessity is the mother of inventions...
(Another hour's drive beyond Yumthang takes one to Yumesamdong (15,300 ft.), an area where the sweet fragrance of Azellia, a plant used as incense by locals permeates the air).
Day 4: Local Sightseeing and Day of Departure
We started with first glimmer of sun shine to cover all the local places. We visited:
- Rumtek Monastry: 24 km from the capital city of Gangtok. It serves as the seat of His holiness Gyawla Karmapa the XVI, the head of the Karma Kagyu order of Tibetan Buddhism.
- Do Drul Chorten Stupa: The Do-Drul Chorten or Stupa was built by the venerable Truslshi Rimpoche, head of the Nyingma order of Tibetan Buddhism, in 1945.
- Fambong La Wildlife Sanctuary: Diverse and amazing...Check out yourself
Himalayan Palm Chivet...
- Botanical Gardens: Amazing Flora and Fauna...
Flowers to all who visit here:
- Tashi View point
- Sikkim Research Institute of Tibetology
- Changu Lake: Trip to Sikkim is not complete without Changu Lake, situated at an altitude of 12,400 ft it is 35 kms away from Sikkim on the Gangtok-Nathula highway which forms a part of the old trade route from India to China. The cool, placid water harmonises with the scenic beauty around which is doubled by its reflection in the lake. A small temple of Lord Siva is constructed in the lakeside. Primula flowers and other alpine vegetation around the lake, lend a pristine beauty to this place. a footpath along the lake takes one to a resting shed a walk of about half a kilometer.during the winter months the lake becomes frozen.
I do want to scale Kanchenjunga...Anyone interested, can drop a line for the extreme adventure. See you guys ......